Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fabulous Big Dutch Babies!



We love Dutch Babies in our house.  I started making them when I lived with my Grandmother.  I can't remember if I first learned them in my home economics class and then brought them home to my Grandmother or if she was making them before that.

The great thing about this recipe is it is super simple and super delicious!

Ingredients:
**For a 2-3 qt size cast iron pan (or paella pan or other baking dish no more than 3 inches deep) (note recipe needs to be increased for a greater quart size)

3 T of butter
3 eggs
3/4 cup of milk
3/4 cup of flour

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  {If you are making it in a cast iron pan, make sure it is cured so that the dutch baby doesn't stick.  I wash my pans with soap ... so if the pan seems "dry", I add a touch of oil to the pan and "cook" it on the stove until the oil just sets in.} If the pan is cool, I put it in the oven to warm and to also add the butter to melt (don't let the butter burn).  While butter melts, whirl eggs at high speed with your mixer, blender, or food processor for one minute.  You will notice the eggs getting frothy.  Gradually beat in milk and flour - alternating them.  Remove pan from oven and pour the batter into the pan all at once.  Bake until puffy and lightly browned 18-25 minutes depending on pan size and your oven.  It is 18 minutes in my oven with the 2-3 qt size pan.


The dutch baby will puff up dramatically - so let everyone see it right away for an exciting presentation!  But, then it drops quickly - this is normal.

Dust the dutch baby with powdered sugar.  If you like it sweet, you can drizzle it with maple syrup as well.  For a "less sweet" taste, I often squeeze lemon juice on mine.  The kids prefer the syrup of course.

This is definitely a 5 star meal for both Dragon King and Fairy Princess!

What do you like on your Dutch Babies?

No comments:

Post a Comment